A Networking Forum for

Greater Pittsburgh Area Real Estate Investors
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rental Requirements for Tennants
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

I'm wondering what other landlords' written rental requirements are (minimum credit score, minimum income, etc.) If anyone is willing to share their written list of criteria, I'd really appreciate it.

I know that if you have standard written requirements that you follow, it would be hard to lose a law suit for turning someone down for housing.

Thanks in advance,

Emilie :shock:

Post subject: Re: Rental Requirements for Tennants
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:30 am 

Hi Emilie,
Though I "interview" every applicant & have them complete a pretty thorough application, I personally do not use a written list of requirements. Instead, I go through a screening company that does a thorough background check (credit history & score, criminal background, public records for tenant/landlord filings, etc.). The service also provides me a form letter to mail to applicant if the applicant is rejected. By using this service, personal opinion & bias is removed from the equation.....I can't be challenged on discrimination. The company's name is Nation Tenant Network, website is http://www.ntnonline.com

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:55 pm 

Emilie,

I too have used NTN...they are wonderful! I would like to add a couple of items to think about though:
You are able to go into your profile with NTN and adjust the standards for an applicant being approved or not (credit score, etc.). I took advantage of this because I learned that in my area, more depressed than many, there were VERY few applicants that would be approved within this system. I do have a "score" system that I used when screening applicants that helps to make the decision and keep you from the discrimination scare. This system in conjunction with NTN worked wonderful for me. It allowed for a few more factors to be considered. Please feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to email you the form and answer any more questions you may have!

Justine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:02 am 
Site Admin

Jim, Justine,
Thanks very much, that's very helpful. I'll check out TNT.
So far, I was using Jean Yevick's screening service for
credit/criminal checks.

Are you both finding good tenants when you use TNT?
I've heard so many nightmarish tenant stories, and so
many landlords say they've had their units totally trashed
by tenants. Has TNT's screening processes been successful
in avoiding such problems?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:41 pm 

NTN, Just as many other services alike have an amazing program purpose and setup, the problem is that the success of the service relies on the users themselves!! Landlords are urged to fill out move-out reports for a tenant that goes into the system. If another landlord uses NTN and enters the previous address (if tenant is honest) then the report will show potential problems, if any. The problem with this is that not everyone is using the same system and many landlords do not take the time to enter this information!

I will share with you the BEST advice I was ever given in regards to protecting yourself from bad tenants......CHECK REFERENCES!!! Both personal and rental history. If you ask most landlords how many calls they have actually received from another prospective landlord of a past tenant....it's not very many!!

Good luck!
~justine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:23 am 

Hello Emilie,

I have to agree with Justine. Landlord's have the responsibility to report bad tenants to hopefully save another landlord from renting to a dead beat! And if nothing else the database now has the "dead beat" information for future use or search. Yes it is a bad experience having a bad tenant but after you evict them report them!

I have another service that I recommend and for landlord's to join its free:

http://www.american-apartment-owners-as ... screening/

Good luck! Follow Justine's advice and don't forget to report those dead beats!!

CHAIM