A Networking Forum for

Greater Pittsburgh Area Real Estate Investors
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Extreme Smell Issues...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:39 am 
Site Admin

We're considering a house that has an extreme animal pee smell. The carpets have already been removed, but the smell is so severe that it's still almost unbearable to just be in the house. (Otherwise, it's in decent shape.)

I know products like Odor Exit can get rid of most bad smells, but I'm wondering if anyone has rehabbed a property where the smell was so extreme. Is it possible to get rid of the smell completely? Any words of wisdom on how to do that?

My concern is that the house will always be smelly :?

Emilie Nottle
Real Estate Link
For Exceptional Real Estate Deals, Without Putting in the
Time, Effort or Marketing Expense, Join Our Buyers List Today
http://www.Real-Estate-Link.com

Post subject: Re: Extreme Smell Issues...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Emilie,

We have dealt with this issue a number of times. You first have to determine where the smell is coming from. If the carpets are pulled up you will most likely see an area when the pet has urinating. Depending on the amount of saturation, we have done two different things to fix the problem. You can first try sealing the stain and smell into the wood floor by using Kilz paint / primer. I recommend using the "original Kilz" vs the water based kilz. Most of the time this will do the trick but in extreme cases we have just marked the floor at the joist locations and cut that section out and replaced it with plywood or OSB board and carpeted over.

If the smell is coming from the basement, try several cleanings with bleach and water.

Hope this helps you out.

Mark Fichtner
Penn Pioneer Enterprises LLC
www.pennpioneer.com

Post subject: Re: Extreme Smell Issues...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Mark/ Rick, thank you - this is very helpful. Rick, I'm including your answer here, so that others can benefit from the information:
The urine smell will remain and those odor causing enzymes/bacteria will reactivate from the time to time with the temperature changes or with any moisture on those areas. The enzymes/bacteria must be destroyed or they will keep coming back.

There are products on the market that kill those enzymes. There are also some co Like “Chem Dry” who specialize in the killing the odor causing enzyme/bacteria in the urine. The wood flooring must be saturated with the chemical and it must dry completely.

In Addition to the above, I have heard of people also safeguarding this by applying a coat of Kilz brand “oil based” primer or another comparable brand to the floors before you replaced with new flooring this seals the area.

Rick Crawford /Investment Consultant
Premier Property Management Services Inc.
Pennsylvania State Licensed Real Estate Brokerage
Phone 724-847-2728 Fax 724-847-3233