A Networking Forum for

Greater Pittsburgh Area Real Estate Investors
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: water heater leak fixable?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:51 am 

I have a gas water heater in a rented house that after many years of service, just started leaking, very slowly (about 30-40sec to fill the depression after it is sponged out) , from the inlet and outlet ports.

While it is possible that this leak is coming from the fittings (which are straight copper, and therefor hard to test), it is happening so slowly, as to be very difficult to locate.

I find it very improbable that both connections would spontaneously fail in place. What are the more likely causes, and are there a fixes for any of them beyond replacing the unit?

Post subject: Re: water heater leak fixable?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:01 am 

Without actually seeing the unit this may be diffficult to direct you to an accurate answer. How old is the heater? This can be found on the serial number. The first 4 digits are the date code. 1293 would indicate the twelvth month of 1993. Water heaters typically last 10 years, regardless of the warranty time length (which is often 5-6 years). You may have a blessing in disguise with this warning, if the unit is 10+ y.o. Although the unit may last a few more years, I typically prefer to act now(when I have the time to shop around,) rather than be subjected to an emergency charge and a possible flood later. Terry's Plumbing (412 364 9114) has been advertising a replacement for $499.00. I have used them with success. Please ask for the entire price before anyone begins the work. The fine print on advertised prices often reads "typical installation", this is a clause which allows for upcharges: valves, expansion tank, etc.
Make it a great day!
workdog