A Networking Forum for

Greater Pittsburgh Area Real Estate Investors
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Roofing Rip-Offs!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:21 pm 

In January, I logged onto the Rants and Raves portion of Craigslist, and responded to a post concerning those contractors who rip off customers, because my father had paid a decent sum of money to what we perceived to be a family friend to have siding installed on his home. This was almost 3 years ago, and not only was the siding never installed, we never saw the money Dad had given him, and since our father has passed away.
Hence, after our father died, I took over the house and have been for the past 6 months renovating it, in it's entirety. During this specific day in January, and during the posting on CL, I encountered a man who said he'd come out and look at my roof, because I have been intent on having work done to the roof, either repaired or a complete replacement. To make a long story short, similar to what my father had done to him, I paid the down payment with check, and signed a Contractor Agreement to have my roof replaced by a local firm. The only stipulation was "weather permitting" to have the roof completed in a certain time frame. Well, for 5 days last week, the weather was picture perfect, however due to a death in their family, supposedly, work could not be accomplished, which in all likelyhood makes the contractor agreement invalid, because the weather was in fact ripe and the agreement itself did not stipulate personal problems would be a factor. I have called these people several times and no one has either bothered to return my call, or bothered to get in touch with me, concerning the roof. I want out of this contract, but again, no one in that firm has made even an attempt in reaching me, and now I am seriously considering filing a suit against them in small claims court.
All Phase Home Improvement is the name of the company.

Post subject: Re: Roofing Rip-Offs!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:21 pm 

I think you will find a magistrate not very open to your suit. One week is not sufficient enough delay to go to court. Give the company a little time. It seems to me that, though a death in the family is not specifically in the contract, don't you think that is a reasonable and justifiable excuse? Poor communication is always an unpleasant thing to deal with. At the same time, put yourself in his/her shoes. I know that if my mother or father died, your roof (were I to be a roofer) would NOT be at the top of my priority list.

If you go to court after a week delay, prepare to be put in your place by the magistrate -- as your stance is one that appears to be very unsympathetic. Magistrates, as a whole, seem to be pretty good people, with hearts. Any magistrate I know (my cousin being one. a property manager I know being another) would scold you for being so quick to legal action if the death is legitimate.

Contractors are not the best for communication. Give them a little more time and see how it pans out.

Juuuust my 2 cents.